Thursday, August 25, 2011

Baby Steps - My First Trade

Trading.  The concept is not foreign to me.  As a youngster I traded items from my lunch for more desirable ones that my classmate had.  As a grown-up, I routinely trade my leisure time for money (working), then trade that money for goods and services

However, I had never traded cards on the internet until very recently.  A few weeks ago, Wes at Jaybarkerfan's Junk made a post that he was starting a Gary Redus super-collection.  I thought it was an interesting goal, but only vaguely remembered Redus.  I put it out of my mind.  Later that night, I was sorting a random pile that I had bought in a craigslist lot.  What did I find in there, but THIS GUY:
1992 Leaf #223 Gary Redus

I sent Wes a quick email letting him know that I had a Redus card, and that I would give it to him if he wanted it.  He responded that he still needed it and gave his address.  He asked if I collected anything, and I told him that I liked the Royals.  I fired Mr. Redus off in a toploader and PWE the next day.  

A few days later, I opened my mailbox and found an envelope from Wes.  It had this guy in it!

2011 Allen and Ginter #329 Alex Gordon

That may not look like much to you, but it was a welcome sight to me.  I hadn't purchased any Ginter this year, so that was my first one.  It's a great looking card.

I didn't go into that expecting to get something out of it, but I did, so I'm calling that my first trade.  It was a 1-for-1...not the most efficient way to do things, but very exciting for me nonetheless.

If any of you see anything in my trade-list that you want, please let me know and I'm sure we'll be able to work out a deal.  I just bought another box of mid-'70s cards that I will discuss in a later post, so be on the lookout for that. Most of those will be up for trade.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...